New Haven Works, Inc.
Job Title: Job Coach (Career Counselor) [Job ID: #2006]
Job Type: Full-time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Compensation: $20.51/hour plus benefits
Start Date: March 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Until Filled
New Haven Works, Inc., a nonprofit organization that provides job placement assistance to New Haven residents, ensures that local employers have access to qualified candidates, and is a resource to the workforce development community of South Central Connecticut.
The Job Coach reports to the Staff and Program Manager and provides comprehensive case management for approximately 150-200 active New Haven Works members, in alignment with organizational policies/practices and participating employers’ expectations. They will (1) work with staff to provide case management for applicants, referred candidates, and placements; (2) implement member programming; (3) communicate with employers and service providers and (4) ensure the accuracy of individual caseload data for performance measurements.
Due to COVID-19, the majority of New Haven Works’ operations are remote. Onboarding and work duties through at least the first three months of employment will primarily be performed remotely.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Coordinate with New Haven Works staff to identify opportunities for internships, on-the-job training, and permanent/temporary jobs and to interpret the necessary skills and qualifications for job descriptions and postings;
● Provide assessment, matching, preparation, and tracking of New Haven Works candidates for applications to job postings (e.g., skills & work experience assessment, pre-employment screening, resume feedback);
● Develop career plans and prepare New Haven Works candidates for job applications, interviews, and networking events with local employers;
● Provide referrals to local service providers to overcome barriers to employment;
● Develop employment retention plans with members, employers, and New Haven Works staff;
● Maintain accurate paper and computer files on participants with all required documentation necessary for case management and funding reporting requirements;
● Communicate occasionally with employer human resources personnel about job postings and New Haven Works candidates; and
● Perform other duties as necessary to meet program outcomes
Required Qualifications and Skills:
● Bachelor’s Degree majoring in Human Services, Education, Business Management or related Social Science fields; or 3+ years of job recruitment/placement, career counseling, case management, human resources, or related experience;
● Demonstrated excellent customer service skills;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively present nuanced information with clarity and confidence;
● Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, Gmail and other Google applications (i.e. Docs, Sheets, Calendar, and Voice);
● Demonstrated efficacy working as part of a team in a fast-paced environment;
● Outgoing personality with the ability to work well with the general public and a commitment to assisting New Haven residents from diverse backgrounds achieve professional success;
● City of New Haven resident or willingness to move to New Haven within six months of employment; and
● Ability to work some Saturdays and/or evenings
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
● Familiarity with CRM or other database platforms
● Proficiency with Zoom and other web-based meeting platforms
● Knowledge of regional social services resources
● Bilingual English/Spanish fluency;
New Haven Works is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only complete applications (resume and cover letter) will be considered.